The following protocols are intended to proactively facilitate the effective dissemination of news and information to the external community and media in a consistent and cohesive manner.
Media Access to LHU's Facilities
Although Lock Haven University is an open campus for visitors, access for media requires prior approval from the University Relations Office. In the event a reporter reaches out to you, please inform University Relations (firstname.lastname@example.org 570-484-2293). In the event the reporter is requesting access to a faculty member, staff member, or program, a representative from University Relations must either provide approval and/or accompany the media representatives to facilitate the visit. Without prior permission from the University, access to classrooms, offices, and to all residence halls is strictly prohibited. Media personnel who interfere with or delay LHU’s normal operations may be asked to leave campus. In crisis situations, please do not make any statement on/or off the record to any media representative, please refer them immediately to the Executive Director of Communications (email@example.com; 570-484-2293).
Press Releases/Media Advisories
University Relations is the only office on campus permitted to distribute news releases on behalf of Lock Haven University and its administrative and academic units. By directing all communications to media through the University Relations department, the University will maintain a professional, journalistic communication style and ensure materials are reviewed for a consistent, appropriate public image for the institution.
Any member of the LHU community – faculty, staff, students – can request a press release or a media advisory for their news or event. Releases and advisories will be placed on the University website, sent to area media outlets for promotion, and may appear on the University’s various social media accounts. Events announced through media advisories also will be placed on the University’s online events calendar: http://www.lockhaven.edu/helios/.
All press release and media advisory requests must be made by completing an online form. All forms will be reviewed by the University Relations staff, who will determine if a release or advisory will be created and distributed to area media outlets.
(A brief announcement to the general media about an activity or upcoming event)
Request a media advisory here
*Media advisory requests must be made 3 or more weeks in advance of your event or RSVP date. Only events that are open to the public will be sent to the local media. All others will be placed on the University’s online events calendar.
(A complete description of an issue or event after it has taken place)
Request a press release here
*If your release is following an event, the request must be made within 2 weeks or less of the event. Requests made after that timeframe may not be publicized.
Requests for University Relations staff to cover on-campus events will be fulfilled on a limited basis and must be made at least three or more weeks prior to the event. Request event coverage or photos.
Questions may be directed to Julie Stellfox, Communications Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release approval will be made based on the following:
- Is the release keeping within the University’s mission;
- Is the release appropriate to appeal to the news media or other intended audiences;
- Will the release help to meet University branding, communications, and marketing goals;
- Will the release produce the desired results?
Contact with External Media
- Members of the faculty and staff are free to respond to requests from the media regarding their research, teaching, or professional experience. In such cases, University Relations should be notified as soon as possible as the request may require follow up or additional requests involving Lock Haven University personnel. This is done in an effort to coordinate a consistent university response. Faculty, staff, and students have the right to refuse to participate in any news opportunity. In an effort to respect the academic freedom of faculty, any faculty member who seeks to respond or develop a position paper or article can do so without the input of University Relations if they include the following print media disclaimer either in a by-line or at the beginning or end of the article. “The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the author(s) and does not necessarily reflect the views of Lock Haven University, its president, or any other representative.”
- All occurrences, both positive and negative, which involve the University, its employees, students, parents, alumni, and/or donors where a media outlet is seeking a comment, should be directed to the Office of University Relations.
- News Conferences: University Relations is the only on-campus entity granted the authority to call and hold news conferences on behalf of Lock Haven University.
- Spokespeople: The Executive Director of Communications is the official spokesperson for the university. However, where appropriate, the president/executive director may allow other personnel to perform interviews or stand-in as a subject-matter-expert for a specific story. Although faculty are free to discuss topics related to their areas of academic expertise, no one is permitted to speak on behalf of the University, nor interpret University policy, unless designated by the administration as a spokesperson.
- Student-related inquiries: Any media inquiries involving students should be directed to Office of University Relations.
- Faculty/Staff inquiries: Any media inquiries involving faculty or staff should be directed to Office of University Relations.
- Public Record inquiries: Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) currently has a public records protocol and all public records inquiries should be directed to the Open Records Officer, William Hanelly or his assistant Krisy Meeker 570-484-2505.