Dr. Dain Tepoel
Graduate study in sport science provides advanced preparation for those who love sports and wish to pursue sport-related careers. The Master of Science in Sport Science offers students two track options.
Graduates of the Sport Management track are prepared for careers ranging from marketing, sales and sponsorship to event planning and facility management in professional, amateur, educational and community sport settings.
Having examined how psychological factors influence sport performance and physical activity participation, and how sport and physical activity involvement affect psychological well-being, graduates of the Sport and Exercise Psychology track are prepared to help athletes and others achieve optimal performance.
"As a coach and teacher who is constantly busy, the LHU MS Sport Science Program is set up perfectly for me because I can do the class work on my own time. I was initially nervous about the online format because I ask a lot of questions, but I found that I learned a lot more by doing assignments on my own. Also, the format of the class gives me chances to contact teachers and peers frequently which helps a lot. With the hope of becoming an Athletic Director down the road, I believe that the material being taught in this program will ultimately help me achieve my goal. Although I only took 2 courses so far, I know that I made the right choice by choosing LHU for achieve my Master's degree."
David Jake Wartella
The LHU MS Sports Science Program is great. The work itself is relatively recent to today's issues, problems and concerns which makes it very interested to learn about. For the total work load to be online, the professors really make sure you understand the assignments. I love the fact that I don't have to sit in a classroom yet have the same access to professors if I have any questions. I'm able to work full time while getting my masters which enables me to gain more work experience to go along which furthering my education. I would recommend this program to anyone looking to capitalize on both work and education.
Sport MANAGEMENT Track
In addition to three core classes, the Sport Management track includes 15-18 credits
of required coursework that includes a three credit capstone project or six credit field experience (see handbook below) and three to six credits of electives.
SPRT624 FIELD EXPERIENCE HANDBOOK
This program will prepare you to pursue a career in the sport industry including:
- Sport Marketing
- Sport Sales and Sponsorship
- Event Management
- Facility Management
- Athletic Administration
- Public Relations
Specific positions include:
- General Manager
- Marketing Director
- Athletic Director
- Corporate Sales Manager
- Facility Manager
- Media Relations
Sport & Exercise Psychology Track
As one of only a handful of online degrees in sport and exercise psychology in the country, this track will ready you for a variety of professional roles. In addition to three core classes, the Sport and Exercise Psychology track includes an additional 15 credits of required coursework including a three credit capstone project and 6 elective credits. LHU was recently ranked third in the country in the most affordable online sport psychology programs.
Career options associated with this track include:
- AASP Certified Consultant educating coaches, athletes, officials, and parents about sport and exercise psychology and performance enhancement techniques
- University Athletic Department Liaison
- Army Center for Performance Enhancement
- Fitness Consultant or Lifestyle Coach
- Counseling Psychology
The application of sport and exercise psychology principles in settings other than sport and exercise has also been growing steadily. Graduates, therefore, may also work in non-sport settings.
Certification: Courses have been reviewed and approved by the Certification Council for certification through the Association of Applied Sport Psychology.
AASP Certification Course Requirements
(* = must be graduate level)
K1. Professional Ethics and Standards*
SPRT616: Ethics in Applied Sport Psychology
K2. Sport Psychology*
SPRT610: Foundations of SEP
SPRT612: Sport and Exercise Psychology for Performance Enhancement
SPRT613: Psych of Athletic Injury/Recovery
SPRT614: Stress Management for the Physically Active
K3. Sport Science
SPRT601: Sport in American Culture
NONE (can use UG courses here)
K5. Helping Relationships*
SPRT618: Counseling Skills for Sport Psychology
K6. Research Methods and Statistics*
SPRT600: Research Methods in Sport Science
K7. Psychological Foundations of Behavior
SPRT615: Seminar in Sport Science (if topic appropriate – individual course outline must be reviewed by AASP)
Can use UG courses here
K8. Diversity and Culture*
SPRT617: Multicultural and Ethnic Diversity for Sport Psych Consulting
Mentored Experience in Sport and Exercise Psychology
SPRT631: Mentored Experience in Sport and Exercise Psychology
In addition to three core classes, the International Sport Management track includes 15-18 credits of required coursework that includes a three credit capstone project or six credit field experience (see handbook below) and three to six credits of electives. This specialized Master level concentration will provide a number of opportunities in the department to leverage international sport management that will allow for our students to get experience to put on their resume.
Enhance your expertise in:
• Public Relations
• Legal and Policy Issues
• Global Soccer Industry
• International Sport Organization
Perhaps now more than ever, our society and culture recognizes the magnitude and scope of the global sport industry and its influence. Executives, partners, managers, coaches, athletes and professionals throughout the industry understand the increasing demands of competition, media attention, sponsor engagement, sustainability, and fan interaction. We provide advanced preparation for those who want to pursue careers in these areas. In our program, students have the opportunity to study core aspects of the interrelationships among the marketing, governance, financial, leadership, and cultural aspects of sport management, in the United States and around the world.
Application Process and Deadlines
To complete the admissions process, students must submit:
- Online application
- Official college transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of professional goals
Application materials may be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed directly to the following address:
Lock Haven University
Office of Admissions, ATTN: Graduate
401 N Fairview Street
Lock Haven, PA 17745
*Lock Haven University graduates do not need to request transcripts; the Office of Admissions will do this on your behalf.
Students also have the option of registering for up to three courses as a non-degree seeking student and have those courses automatically transfer to degree seeking status upon official enrollment in the program. If you would like to register for courses as a non-degree student complete the Walk-In Registration process.
Note: Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for state or federal financial aid.
- 100% Online Delivery: LHU’s distance instructional methods are designed to maintain a personal, one-to-one
mentoring and supervisory relationship with degree candidates while making it possible
to create active and engaged learning communities. No campus visits or on-campus residencies
are required. Much of the coursework is completed via virtual classrooms utilizing
the latest technology in online instruction.
- Program Instructional Facilities: Programs delivered either partially or entirely remotely may utilize either synchronous
or asynchronous technologies. Synchronous delivery utilizes the Zoom platform and
may utilize either or both the Zoom desktop or mobile applications or purpose-built
Zoom classrooms. Asynchronous delivery utilizes the Desire2Learn Brightspace learning
management system and the SonicFoundry Mediasite media delivery platform.
- Flexible Start Dates & a Diverse Student Population: You can begin coursework in the fall, summer, or spring semester. Because the coursework
can be completed 100% online, our students hail from across the country.
- Full-Time and Part-Time: Students can attend full-time and part-time. Full-time graduate students take nine credits in the fall and spring, and twelve credits over the summer. This means graduate students attending full-time can complete the graduate degree in one calendar year.
Students who attend part-time can take three or six credits per semester and this can vary by semester based on their individual needs.
- Semester Off: Many of the students in our program work full-time and occasionally need to take a semester off. Coaches in our program, for example, may wish not to take classes when
their sports are in season (and then double up the following semester). Students are allowed to step out for a semester and return to classes afterwards. When they are ready to begin classes again,
students should submit a Request to Resume Studies form: http://www.lockhaven.edu/registrar/gradresumestudies.html
- Transfer Credits: Students can transfer up to six credits into the graduate program. To have courses evaluated, please submit a Transfer Approval Request Form: https://myhaven.lhup.edu/ICS/icsfs/transfer_credit_approval.pdf?target=158ff8d9-e814-4259-b656-d6053943bca2
- Both Tracks: Some of our students are interested in both the Sport Management track AND the Sport and Exercise Psychology track and choose to complete both tracks. Those interested
in doing so need to complete the requirements for the first track and an additional twelve credits
of the second track. Students should contact Dr. Dain TePoel (email@example.com) for more information.
- Walk-in Registration: Students who would like to take class(es) without applying to or enrolling in the graduate program are able to take up to three classes/nine credits through "walk-in" registration. Sport and exercise psychology professionals, for example, who require a coursehttps://appliedsportpsych.org/certification/online-courses/ for certification https://appliedsportpsych.org/certification/ through the Association for Applied Sport Psychology https://appliedsportpsych.org/ often choose this option.