What You'll Study
Are you interested in a challenging and rewarding career choice that will make a positive impact on the health of Americans? As healthcare providers, physical therapists diagnose and treat individuals of all ages by conducting evaluations, developing treatment plans that promote mobility, decrease pain, restore function, and prevent disability.
The LHU Pre-Physical Therapy track prepares you for entry into graduate physical therapy programs across the country. We offer two options to complete your pre-physical therapy education.
- LHU’s “4+3” Program: The vast majority of physical therapists complete their education over a seven-year span (four years undergraduate education and three years of graduate physical therapy education). If you choose the traditional 4+3 plan, you will complete four years of study at LHU and your academic advisor will aid you in deciding which graduate program is the right fit for you.
- LHU & Widener University “3+3” Partnership: LHU also offers an accelerated “3+3” program in partnership with Widener University’s Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. In this program you’ll follow a compressed schedule of undergraduate classes that will enable you to transition into the Physical Therapy program at Widener University at the end of your third year at LHU. Admission to the accelerated “3+3” program is by invitation only. You must submit an LHU application designating the major Health Science/Pre Physical Therapy and be accepted by November 1st. Applicants are carefully screened by the LHU Admission Department to ensure that they have the track record (e.g. high class rank and SAT scores) to succeed in this very concentrated, rigorous, and demanding academic and professional program.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Field Experience: As a Health Science major you will be required to complete a professional field experience that serves as a culminating experience linking academic preparedness to an experience that matches your career goals and aspirations.
- Facilities: Lock Haven University provides exceptional, state-of-the-art facilities for the Health Science program. There are athletic training facilities, an exercise physiology lab, rehabilitation center, and gross human anatomy (cadaver dissection) lab.
- Health Science Club: The Health Science Club is dedicated to engaging the entire LHU and surrounding community in health awareness and health improvement activities. We have over 200 members and are open to all LHU students, but primarily consist of Health Science majors. The club participates in various activities around campus and the community including:
- The Hunger Bowl for Hunger Awareness Month
- Pink Ribbon Sales for Breast Cancer Awareness
- Community Clinics and Health Fairs
- LHU Adopt a Family Christmas Project
- Relay for Life
- LHU Health Fair
- Field trips to the Bodies Exhibition in New York