What You'll Study
The Exercise Science Track examines the function of the body under the stress of acute and chronic physical activity. Exercise Scientists promote health and wellness, prevent illness and disability, restore health and well-being, and help athletes reach their potential in sports training and performance. Upon completion of the program, you will be eligible to take health and fitness certification examinations including the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). Graduates of the Exercise Science Track are also eligible to apply to graduate programs, including the Master of Science in Athletic Training Program.
Topics covered include:
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II
- Applied Sport and Exercise
Mission Statement and Purpose: The purpose of this organization shall be to provide health information to the campus of Lock Haven University. This organization shall also promote health events on campus.
Member Benefits: Active members can benefit from the following:
- Meet upper/underclassmen and bond over similar interests
- Provides community service opportunities, as well as campus and community health related information
- Members rewarded for active member status at the completion of the semester
- Resume builder
- Fun way to mingle with peers
Average Number of Members: There are a little over a hundred members, but our average meeting attendance is closer to 20-30 members.
Active Membership Requirements: In order to maintain an active member, students must attend two meetings and five events each semester.
Meeting Schedule: Typically, meetings are biweekly. A schedule will be provided once one is formed.
Annual Events: In a normal semester, we offer 15-20 events. There is a wide variety, some examples include a club trip, fundraising/donating, presentations/guest speakers, and heath events.
Social Media: We don’t have any club specific social media accounts, but it’s possible to connect with us through our department’s Instagram and Twitter handles: @lhuhlthscience
Faculty Advisors: Dr. Jeanine Page and Dr. Jennifer Rudella can be contacted for further information.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Field Experience: As a Health Science major you will be required to complete a professional field experience that serves as a culminating experience linking academic preparedness to an experience that matches your career goals and aspirations.
- Professional Preparation: The Exercise Science Track also prepares students for entry into graduate programs
that require an undergraduate degree heavily focused in the human and natural sciences
for admission including:
- Athletic Training
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Psychology
- Motor Control and Learning
- Sports Medicine
- Facilities: Lock Haven University provides exceptional, state-of-the-art facilities for the Health Science program. There are athletic training facilities, an exercise physiology lab, rehabilitation center, and gross human anatomy (cadaver dissection) lab.