Summer Financial Aid

The summer academic sessions are treated as an extension of the current academic year, so it is not uncommon for students to have exhausted their federal student aid (FSA) options during the fall and spring semesters prior. As a result, options for financial aid are often limited for most returning students during the summer sessions.



  1. Register for classes in a summer session.
  2. Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements at the end of the spring semester.
  3. Have a complete FAFSA on file. For the summer of 2019, an undergraduate student must submit a 2018-2019 FAFSA.
  4. If the student is graduating from LHU at the end of the summer sessions, he/she should submit a FAFSA for the upcoming year in addition to the current year’s. For the summer of 2019 a graduating LHU student should file both a 2018-2019 FAFSA and a 2019-2020 FAFSA.
  5. If the student would like to receive a Federal Direct Student Loan in the summer and has met all of the requirements to receive a loan, submit a Summer Loan Application.
  6. If additional financial assistance is needed for summer the student can apply for an additional loan (PLUS or Alternative).


In an attempt to determine if you are eligible for aid in the summer, the Financial Aid Office will automatically review the following:

  • Credits enrolled
  • Living situation; on campus, off campus, commuting
  • SAP status
  • FSA remaining eligibility (grants and loans, if applicable)

If a student qualifies for and is eligible for summer aid, an email notification will be sent to the LHU email account. Awarded aid can also be viewed in myHaven, under the “Financial Aid tab”, in “Financial Aid Awards”.

Because summer aid program eligibility is based on the above criteria, the awarded financial aid has the potential to change if any of the above criteria change. Students are urged to promptly notify the Financial Aid Office of any registration changes made after summer aid eligibility has been reviewed.


Students must be meeting SAP in order to receive both FSA and the Pennsylvania State Grant in the summer.

  • Because summer aid is often awarded prior to spring semester grades being available, the Financial Aid Office will initially determine summer eligibility with the assumption that the student is meeting SAP.
  • Once spring semester grades are finalized and available to the Financial Aid Office, SAP will be reviewed for each student.
  • If a student is not meeting SAP, a student may lose his/her summer aid eligibility.
  • If eligibility is lost, a letter and an email notification will be sent to the LHU email account to notify the student of the change.
  • Students that lose their financial aid and do not cancel summer registration are still responsible for payment of their summer bill.
  • Students who suspect that their financial aid will be suspended after spring semester should contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss whether summer enrollment is a viable option.


Federal Pell Grant: The Financial Aid Office will automatically review Pell Grant eligibility for all enrolled students who have a current FAFSA on file. If it is determined that the student has eligibility for summer, the student must also be meeting SAP to qualify.

Pennsylvania State Grant: Students, who are eligible for a Pennsylvania State Grant through PHEAA, may choose to apply for a summer grant award.

  • Eligible students working on a bachelor’s degree are eligible for up to 8 full-time semesters of the Pennsylvania State Grant. Summer grants are included in the total amount and taking a grant in the summer could result in losing a grant in a future semester.
  • PHEAA requires that all eligible recipients are enrolled at least half–time (6 credits). If you are unsure whether you are satisfying this requirement, please contact the Financial Aid Office for clarification.
  • Students must also be meeting academic progress requirements for PHEAA in order to be eligible.
  • To apply, students should go to and follow the links to the information about the summer state grant.

Federal Direct Student Loans: The Financial Aid Office will review loan eligibility for all returning students who have submitted a Summer Loan Application.

  • In order to qualify for loans in the summer students must be meeting SAP, registered half-time (usually six credits) over the course of the summer, and have remaining eligibility from the current academic year.
  • If a student is graduating from LHU at the end of summer and the graduation date has been updated with the Registrar’s Office, he or she may have additional loan eligibility for summer as long as the student is meeting SAP and is enrolled half-time.
  • All students receiving Direct Student Loans at LHU must have completed Entrance Counseling for LHU and have a current Master Promissory Note on file. To complete Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note, please log in at

Federal Direct PLUS Loans: Students must be enrolled half-time and meeting SAP requirements to receive this loan, even if a parent or graduate student has been approved to receive the loan.

  • Dependent students may have a parent apply for the Direct Parent PLUS Loan as an additional resource.
  • If a student’s parent is denied the Direct Parent PLUS Loan, the student may be eligible for additional Direct Unsubsidized Loan funding if it was not already utilized throughout the course of the current academic year.
  • Graduate students may apply for the Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.
  • Parents and graduate students must apply for the PLUS Loan online at
  • More information about PLUS loans can be found under the “Types of Financial Aid” tab.

Alternative Educational Loans/ Private Loans: an additional loan option for students who need further assistance for summer educational expenses.  Alternative loans are not a government program and are available through private lenders. Interest rates and terms of the loans may vary depending on the loan program the student wishes to utilize. Students typically need a credit worthy cosigner to have their loan application approved. More information about Alternative Loans can be found on the Financial Aid Office Webpage under the “Types of Financial Aid” tab.


Contact Financial Aid Office

223 Ulmer Hall, Lock Haven University, Lock Haven, PA 17745
(570) 484-2424


Connect with Financial Aid Online

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube