What You'll Study
LHU offers multiple programs in Education. Find out more information on each of the departments at the links below:
A variety of graduate-level eduation programs can be completed throughout Commonwealth University. A full listing of available options are below and with most able to be completed via 100% remote instruction.
- Child Life Specialist
- Educational Technology
- Mid-Level Education
- Special Education
- Child Life Specialist
- Early Childhood Curriculum & Assessment
- Early Childhood Development
- ESL Program Specialist
- Accreditation: Each of LHU’s Education programs is accredited by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, (PDE) and the Council for Accreditation of Education Providers, (CAEP). In addition, individual programs are accredited by various professional associations including (NAEYC: National Association for the Education of Young Children, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, National Council for the Social Studies, National Council for Teachers of English, and the National Science Teachers Association).
- Blocked Classes: The Education programs at LHU offer two “blocked” groupings of courses in the method and practice of teaching. One of them is typically scheduled in the sophomore year and the other in the senior year. Each block includes a subject-specific “methods” course where prospective teachers learn about curriculum, assessment, and technology in addition to methods for teaching in the various content areas.
- Student Teaching: In LHU’s teacher education programs you will student teach at two different sites. You will likely have a choice of urban, rural, or suburban schools. You are also encouraged to student teach abroad at any of our partner universities.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Careers: The current retirement rate of “baby boom” generation teachers is creating a high
demand for teachers at all levels. As a graduate of one of LHU’s education programs,
you will be prepared to teach in your chosen area. Demand is high for teachers in
all areas, particularly in rural and inner city districts.
- Teacher Certification at LHU: Students who graduate and meet the requirements of the chosen teacher education program
are eligible to apply for PA State Teacher Licensure. This licensure provides individuals
with the opportunity to teach in all Pennsylvania public schools. See the Pennsylvania Department of Education website for more information.
Graduates seeking to teach outside of Pennsylvania may have additional requirements to meet. See Education Commission on the States for reciprocity information.
- Facilities: Faculty deliver courses in technology-enhanced classrooms with vast multimedia capabilities. Students can access open computer labs and campus wireless network when using personally-owned devices. Students can request technology resources from Stevenson Library, Media Services.