May 2021 Graduate Commencement Ceremony
Friday, May 7, 2021 - 5:30 PM
Charlotte Smith Field, see campus map
Arrival time: 4:45 PM - 5 PM
Graduates and guest are to arrive in the same vehicle and enter the ceremony location together.
There will be “pods” of three seats on the field for the graduate and their guest(s), with appropriate social distancing between the “pods.”
University staff will direct the graduate and guest(s) to seats.
Available anywhere on campus, except where restricted 24 hours/day, 7 days/week and no parking locations.
Handicapped parking is available in lot 3A/3B, see campus map.
- If handicapped parking is needed, please contact Tina Probst (570-484-2008 or email@example.com) so that we can ensure a sufficient number of spaces.
Guests are limited to two (2) individuals per graduate.
The graduate and their guest(s) are to arrive in the same vehicle. After parking, the graduate and guest(s) will walk to the ceremony location together.
- University staff will be at the field entrance to monitor the number of guests per graduate.
- The graduate and guest(s) will be seated together on the field. (See Seating below)
No tickets are required.
Up to two (2) guests per graduate.
Any graduate who arrives with more than two guests will have to decide who will enter the field for the ceremony and who will need to return to their vehicle.
Graduates must visit the Check-In Table where University staff will give you your name card (white index card) that will be required when you proceed to the stage for the roll call.
If you have served in the US Armed Forces, a red/white/blue cord will be given to you. Please inform the staff person at the Check-In Table if you qualify for this cord.
Mask and social distancing mandates will be in effect while graduates and their guests are on campus. Masks are required for entrance to the ceremony.
Graduates will wear the mask when proceeding to the stage for the roll call, but may remove the mask for photos. Practice social distancing at all times.
The ceremony will be broadcasted/live-streamed so that individuals unable to attend in person may watch the ceremony.
Information will be posted on the University’s homepage on the day of the ceremony.
- Graduate and up to two (2) guests arrive together.
- Graduate and guest(s) will be seated together on the field.
- There will be no graduate processional.
- A platform party will be in front of the graduates.
- The platform party consists of the Interim University President, University Provost, College Deans, Faculty Union President, Council of Trustee Chair, the ROTC Commanding Officer and Student Speaker.
- The University ROTC Color Guard will present the flags.
- The National Anthem will be played.
- After greetings from the platform party are given, graduates will be directed to be
hooded by their guest. See YouTube video for instructions on how to do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fw9gQe1mDw
- Graduates will be signaled to move to the front for the roll call.
- Your tassel should be on the left side of your mortar board.
- Wear your mask.
- Take your name card (white index card) with you. The speaker needs this card to properly announce your name.
- Maintain the appropriate distance as you move forward and wait for your turn for your name to be announced.
- Remove your mask for the photos
- Replace your mask
- Return to your seat
- Additional remarks from the platform
- ROTC Officer commissioning
- There will be no organized recessional; graduates and their guest(s) will be dismissed at the close of the ceremony.
- Attendees are asked to exit the facility and not gather.
The University Store hours for the weekend of graduation will be as follows:
Friday, May 7, 2021: 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday, May 8, 2021: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm