Successful applicants to regular matriculated status will have:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. *
- Work experience in the mental health field. If someone does not have experience in the field, it is strongly encouraged for students to acquire this experience prior to entering practicum
- Strong letters of reference from individuals knowledgeable about the applicant’s academic preparation and/or relevant work experience.
- A strong personal interview with CMHC faculty and a group interview with other applicants (via computer software that allows real-time, face to face meetings).
*Applicants with a cumulative GPA between 2.75-2.99 will be offered an interview and considered for probational acceptance. Applicants with a GPA below a 2.75 may be considered for an interview following the submission of a letter to the program director, Dr. Vincenzes (KAV813@lockhaven.edu). This letter will be reviewed by the admissions committee to determine if an interview will be granted. The letter must discuss all of the following: a. What happened in your undergraduate experience that led to the low GPA? b. What have you learned about yourself with regards to your needs as a student? c. What specific plan do you have in place to make sure you will be successful in the graduate program? (include specific supports) and d. What have you done in the mental health field since graduating from your undergraduate institution? Note: All students accepted with an undergraduate GPA less than 3.0 will begin the program on probational acceptance. This means that students will start part-time and must earn a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all courses for the first 9 credits before they can be considered full-time and/or matriculated into the program.
To complete the admissions process, students must submit:
- Online application
- Official college transcripts documenting completion of an undergraduate degree
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Letters must be professional and diverse.
- Letters need to be specific to LHU’s CMHC program.
- Letters need to be personal to the candidate discussing his/her inter and intra personal skills and aptitude for success in an online graduate program.
- Statement of professional goals
- Describe your preparations for graduate work (education, work and/or volunteer experience)
- Your reasons for applying for this particular graduate program at Lock Haven University
- How this graduate program will help you meet your professional and educational goals
- Successful completion of a faculty and group interview