Student Complaint Procedures


Lock Haven University participates in Federal student aid programs that are authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. Participating institutions must be legally authorized to operate with the state in which it is located. Title 34 CFR §600.9 requires states to have a "process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws." Title 34 CFR §668.43(b)requires that institutions: "make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution's accreditation and its State, Federal, or tribal approval or licensing. The institution must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student's complaint." To comply with this regulation, Lock Haven University provides the following information to our prospective and current students. Lock Haven University makes every effort to resolve student complaints internally, using policies and procedures outlined in the current University Catalogs or Student Handbook. It is expected that students will fully utilize any and all of such administrative procedures to address concerns and/or complaints in as timely a manner as possible. For procedures regarding: 

Students who wish to lodge a complaint about a faculty or staff member not covered by the categories above are encouraged to seek to address the complaint informally by:  
Seeking to resolve the issue with the faculty or staff member directly; if that fails,

  • Seeking to resolve the issue with the help of the Department Chair or the staff member's direct supervisor; if that fails 
  • Seeking advice from the Dean of the student's college about how to resolve the issue informally and, if warranted, information about the formal complaint process.

Formal complaints against an employee, student, contractor, or vendor may be filed following the process below. Formal investigations of complaints against faculty and staff are governed by the provisions of their respective Collective Bargaining Agreements.

Formal Complaint Process

Students, who feel the informal consultations have not satisfactorily resolved the matter, may initiate a formal grievance by filing a Non-Academic Grievance Form with the Associate Director of Human Resources or his/her designee.

A complaint of a student making allegations against another student will be immediately referred to the Dean of Students and Residence Life. 

All other student complaints should be filed with the Associate Director of Human Resources or his/her designee.   A student may file a formal complaint in person with the Associate Director of HR (ECJ100); by email at: or phone at: 570-484-2153.  Students will be asked to complete the Non-Academic Complaint Form:

Non-Academic Complaint Form

The student may be accompanied by an advisor when meeting with the Associate Director of Human Resources to file a complaint. The student will meet with the Associate Director of Human Resources for the purpose of gathering additional information concerning the alleged violations. The student will be asked to identify any relevant witnesses and/or information pertinent to the complaint.  The student will be informed that privacy shall be maintained but confidentiality may not be maintained if the University determines that an investigation is warranted.

After receipt of the complaint, the University will take appropriate action within a reasonable period of time to impartially investigate the complaint. Investigation of complaints under this section shall generally be completed within sixty (60) calendar days unless circumstances prevent the completion of an investigation or disposition within this timeframe. The respondent shall be provided an opportunity to respond to the complaint.  

Unresolved complaints may also be filed with the below referenced organizations:

Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE)  
Academic and Student Affairs Division, Office of the Chancellor
2986 North Second Street
Harrisburg, PA. 17110
PASSHE Complaint Process

Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE)
Division of Higher & Career Education 
Pennsylvania Department of Education - Postsecondary and Adult Education
333 Market Street, 12th Floor | Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
Phone: 717.783.8228 | Fax: 717.722.3622
PDE Student Complaint Procedure

Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University's regional accrediting agency, once all other avenues have been exhausted. The link below provides information on its complaint policies and procedures. Middle States Commission on Higher Education 3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104 Telephone: (267) 284-5000 E-mail: | Spanish: españ General Link:

Office for Civil Rights (OCR), enforces federal civil rights laws, conscience and religious freedom laws, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification Rules, and the Patient Safety Act and Rule, which together protect your fundamental rights of nondiscrimination, conscience, religious freedom, and health information privacy at covered entities.  

Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission  
Pittsburgh Regional Office  
301 Fifth Avenue Suite 309, Piatt Place  
Pittsburgh, PA 15222  
412-565-5395 412-565-5711 TTY Users 

Harrisburg Regional Office  
333 Market Street, 8th Floor  
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333  
717-787-9780, 717-787-7279 TTY Users 

Philadelphia Regional Office  
110 8th Street, Suite 501  
Philadelphia, PA 19107  
215-560-2496, 215-560-3599 TTY Users 

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission  
Pittsburgh District Office  
William S. Moorhead Federal Building  
1000 Liberty Avenue, Suite 1112  
Pittsburgh, PA 15222  
1-800-669-4000, 1-412-395-5904 TTY Users 

Philadelphia District Office  
801 Market Street, Suite 1300  
Philadelphia, PA 19107-3127  
1-800-669-4000, 1-800-669-6820 TTY Users

U.S. Department of Education
Office for Civil Rights
Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100

Telephone: 800-421-3481
FAX: 202-453-6012; TDD: 800-877-8339

Link to file complaint:

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube