What You'll Study
Sociology blends history with economics and psychology. We examine the conditions of human existence, interaction and the institutions that result. It is possible to earn a degree in sociology without selecting a specific concentration. This option allows you to explore numerous subject areas and investigate a broad range of topics and ideas. Topics covered include:
- Sociology of Economics
- Social Problems
- Urban-Rural Sociology
- Social Change
Part of the B.S. Sociology degree, this concentration focuses deeply on what creates and shapes deviant behavior among young people and on the consequences of that behavior. Interesting courses:
- SOCI 300: Sociology of Deviance
- SOCI 301: Juvenile Delinquency
Part of the B.S. Sociology degree, this concentration focuses on the social and economic tensions built into extracting and using natural resources and the broader quality of life. GEOG 101, World Regional Geography; GEOG 305, Conservation of Natural Resources; GEOG 328, Sustainability in Appalachia.
Part of the Sociology B.S. degree, this concentration focuses on the structural and cultural motives for production and consumption, the shape of communities associated with industry and economics, organizational behavior, labor/management relations and markets as sociological phenomena. SOCI 351 Rural and Urban Sociology; SOCI 402 Industrial Sociology; SOCI 410 Sociology of Organizations and SOCI 425 Economic Sociology.
Anthropology is broadly the study of human cultural and physical forms. There is some emphasis on early civilizations and their relationship with their natural environment. The minor is for students who want to augment their major discipline by considering the element of people, their evolution and their cultures.
Geography is both a social and environmental science. The minor in geography is designed for students in other disciplines who wish to supplement their knowledge with geographic analytical skills and perspectives. The geography minor complements most majors in the social sciences, physical sciences, biological sciences, and education. Students minoring in geography also gain applied technical expertise in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), which is applicable to a wide range of academic disciplines and career paths.
Sociology has a minor in addition to a major. This minor is popular with majors in Criminal Justice, Social Work, Business and Health Science. The broad nature of Sociology fosters its application to any field that requires human interaction.
- We Are Active: Students have the opportunity to work with professors one-on-one. Sociology majors have the option to conduct original research, apply for independent studies, and attend national conferences with their professors. Students gain practical, real life experiences within the Sociology department, and each professor is available to advise and guide students through various activities which will prepare them for the job market.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. They include The Dr. Roosevelt Green Memorial Scholarship, The Hari Prasnana Biswas Memorial Award and the Smith-Hinds-Shigematsu Scholarship. Find more information here.
- Internships: You will have the opportunity to complete internships in a variety of settings. Past students have interned in the following industries:
- Social Service
- Local & State Government
- Study Abroad: We encourage our students to take advantage of study abroad opportunities. Studying abroad gives you the chance to closely study and personally experience different cultures while living overseas and fulfilling major requirements.
- Careers: Many of our students go onto law schools, management, criminal justice, public relations and labor relations. Sociology is a favored subject for admission to a number of graduate programs including leadership studies, environmental studies, law, education, social psychology and business. Whether you enter the labor market or continue your education, sociology offers an effective launch pad.