What You'll Study
LHU’s secondary education English program integrates a strong academic background within the major with blocks of instruction in methods, classroom management, educational psychology and multiple field experiences. LHU’s focused instruction, small cohorts, and renowned rigor equal a strong demand for graduates that are ready to take on today’s classrooms. Topics covered include:
- Educational Psychology
- Teaching Adolescent and YA Literature
- English Methods
At LHU you will have the option to dual major in special education as part of your secondary education coursework. This dual degree will prepare you for the education job market and help you to meet the needs of today’s dynamic classroom environment. Topics covered include:
- Communication Disorders and Assistive Technology
- Literacy Skills for Students with Disabilities
- Foundations of Special Education
- Accreditation: Nationally accredited by:
- Block: LHU’s unique Block curriculum will allow you to learn amongst a close group of faculty and other students where you will explore and experience various teaching methods.
- Student Teaching: LHU’s education curriculum will give you the opportunity to student teach at two different sites. You will likely have a choice of urban, rural, or suburban schools. You are also encouraged to student teach abroad at any of our partner universities including universities in Australia, Ireland, England, Spain, and Croatia.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Careers: As a graduate of LHU’s secondary education program, you will be prepared to teach English in middle, junior, and senior high grades 7-12. Demand for secondary education teachers with a dual degree in special education remains strong throughout the country, particularly in rural and inner city districts.