Employment Information for International Students

On-Campus Employment

On-Campus Employment

Students may work no more than 20 hours per week on-campus while school is in session.  While school is not in session, students are permitted to work 40 hours per week (example: summer or intercession break). These 20 hours include the work you do for your assistantship if you have one. You are not permitted to work off-campus without receiving PRIOR authorization from the U.S. Federal Government and/or the Center for Global Engagement depending upon your visa status type.  Employment possibilities are very limited.  J-1 Scholars are permitted to work as stipulated on the DS-2019 for Lock Haven University.  If such opportunities arise please schedule an appointment with a Center for Global Engagement advisor.

To find on-campus employment, please visit the Center for Career and Professional Development website and look to apply for jobs that are listed as on-campus employment.

Once you receive an offer for an on-campus job, please come to the CGE to begin the process of applying for a Social Security Number.  Students must have an offer to begin this process.  For more information on how to obtain a Social Security Number for work purposes, visit our forms web page.

To find out more information about Student Employment Forms, visit the Student Employment Paperwork webpage on the Human Resources website.

Questions regarding international student employment on campus should be directed to John Gradel at jrg5874@lockhaven.edu

Off-Campus Employment

Off-Campus Employment

International students at Lock Haven University who are F-1 student visa holders have an opportunity to work off-campus only when given permission and authorization through the Center for Global Engagement.  All students interested in working off-campus should make an appointment with John Gradel, Assistant Director, to discuss the options below before applying for any job.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Immigration regulations for F-1 visa holders allow off-campus work permission called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).  At Lock Haven University this is allowed for 1 semester or 4 months total of full-time work for approved internship, practicum, or independent study experiences that are an “integral part of the established curriculum.” Additional months are given only if required by the academic department.  Please note that tuition charges will apply to your student account for the academic course being taken under CPT.

In order to qualify for CPT, you must:

  • Have completed 2 semesters of full-time study (graduate student requirements differ) and be in good F-1 status.
  • Have an approved internship, practicum, or independent study through your academic department.
  • Submit required paperwork to CGE and receive a new Form I-20 (You must also give a copy of the I-20 to the employer).

International students on an F-1 student visa should not begin working until the appropriate forms have been submitted and reviewed.  Once approved, an international student will receive a new Form I-20 with approval marked on page 2 of the I-20.  Please note, not all CPT requests will be approved.

Visit our International Student Forms page to fill out the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) application. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Immigration regulations (8 CFR214.2(f) (10)(ii)) for F-1 visa holders permit students to apply for a work card (employment authorization document-EAD) for off-campus work permission called Optional Practical Training (OPT) for a total of 12 months of full-time work.  This work card allows students to work in the U.S. in their field of study, but does not restrict the number of jobs or number of hours they work.  Most students utilize OPT after they graduate to gain work experience.  USCIS issues a work card (EAD) to be eligible to work anywhere in the U.S., at any pay scale, for a minimum of 20 hours.  You do not need a job offer to apply.  Work permission can be split into more than 1 time period – see below.  Each application for OPT must be filed separately and include fees and appropriate documentation.  USCIS takes 60-90 days to process OPT applications.  Please plan ahead by making an appointment with John Gradel to discuss the OPT application process a semester before you plan to graduate from LHUP.

Visit our International Student Forms page to fill out the Optional Practical Training (OPT) application.

Contact Us

Center for Global Engagement

Rosana Campbell
200B Ulmer Hall
(570) 484-2140

Assistant Director
John Gradel
200A Ulmer Hall
(570) 484-2140

Shawn O'Dell
200 Ulmer Hall
(570) 484-2140

Contact our Admissions Office

8:00am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday
(570) 484-2027

Connect with Admissions Online

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube