What You'll Study
- Accreditation: Each of LHU’s Education programs is accredited by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, (PDE) and the Council for Accreditation of Education Providers, (CAEP). In addition, individual programs are accredited by various professional associations including (NAEYC: National Association for the Education of Young Children, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, National Council for the Social Studies, National Council for Teachers of English, and the National Science Teachers Association).
- Blocked Classes: The Education programs at LHU offer two “blocked” groupings of courses in the method and practice of teaching. One of them is typically scheduled in the sophomore year and the other in the senior year. Each block includes a subject-specific “methods” course where prospective teachers learn about curriculum, assessment, and technology in addition to methods for teaching in the various content areas.
- Student Teaching: In LHU’s teacher education programs you will student teach at two different sites. You will likely have a choice of urban, rural, or suburban schools. You are also encouraged to student teach abroad at any of our partner universities.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Careers: The current retirement rate of “baby boom” generation teachers is creating a high demand for teachers at all levels. As a graduate of one of LHU’s education programs, you will be prepared to teach in your chosen area. Demand is high for teachers in all areas, particularly in rural and inner city districts.