What You'll Study
This flexible program allows you to select courses from a wide variety of studio art and art history offerings. Selecting an area of specialization will introduce you to both traditional and contemporary art media and content and help you develop visual literacy and aesthetic awareness.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts is a professional degree and requires a concentrated art experience. This program is selective; to be admitted you must submit a portfolio of work upon applying for admission. If accepted, you will be able to take a greater number of advanced studio courses and seminars within the major. The B.F.A. degree has three specializations:
Non Art students may earn a minor in Art with a flexible selection of art courses (18-24 credit hrs.)
A minor in the history of art is available to majors as well as non-majors. Course selections cover a wide range of Art Historical periods and topics, (18-24 credits hrs.)
- Student Studios: Individual workspaces are available to many of our dedicated students. This unique opportunity allows you to make the most of your studio art classes.
- University Art Galleries & Studio Facilities: The John Sloan Fine Arts Center and Bentley Gallery are modern facilities that play
an important role in the art department’s outreach to the local and campus communities.
Numerous regional and international artists exhibit their work here each year.
LHU’s well-equipped studio spaces allow for painting, drawing, photography, and printmaking, along with a stand-alone sculpture and ceramics facility. The Visual Arts computer lab is ideal for graphic design and for the creation of various forms of digital art.
- Local Art Gallery: The Visual Arts partners with the The Train Station gallery for exhibition opportunities outside the University. The Train Station Gallery is run by the Clinton County Arts Council.
- Scholarships: From honorariums to full-tuition waivers, scholarships exist to reward your hard work and dedication to the major. Find more information here.
- Careers: Many graduates immediately work as professional artists and designers. Employers and design clients include:
- Oprah Winfrey
- Corvette Magazine
- Good Beer Hunting
- CRC Health Group
- Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission
In addition, a degree in art provides you with the foundation necessary to enter and succeed in graduate school, opening a potentially greater range of professional career options.
- Study Abroad: Your options for study abroad at LHU are numerous including England, France, Japan, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Mexico to name a few.