Frequently Asked Questions

for international students at Lock Haven University

When should I apply?

Application materials and all required documents must be received at least three months before your intended enrollment date. Applicants may apply for admission for either the fall semester (begins late-August) or the spring semester (begins mid-January). Late applicants will automatically be deferred to the following semester.

When should an application be submitted?

Applications are accepted up to one year prior to the intended entering semester. All applicants are encouraged to send applications and credentials as early as possible. Early applicants increase their chance of admission.

May I apply for admission for any semester during the academic year?

While most new international students and Americans abroad begin their studies during the fall semester which begins during the last week of August, it is possible to apply for admission for the spring semester which begins in late January.

Is there an application fee?

Yes, the application fee is $25 US Dollars for an on-line application or $40 US Dollars for a paper application.

What are the application deadlines?

Freshmen and transfers from international universities should send an application and supporting documents to the International Admissions Office by the following dates:

  • Fall semester June 1
  • Spring semester November 1

Transfer students from colleges and universities in the United States should send an application and supporting documents to the International Admissions Office by the following dates:

  • Fall semester June 15
  • Spring semester November 15
  • Summer semester* April 1
    *Please note that only transfer students already studying in the U.S., are eligible to apply for the summer semester. Students are required to register as a full time student if starting in the summer (12 credits for Undergraduates.) Admission to the summer semester is subject to availability of classes and is only available for summer session 1. If no classes are offered, admission will be considered for the fall semester.

When will I receive an admissions decision?

After the Application for International Admissions is received and complete with all required credentials and documents, an admission decision is usually sent within three weeks or less.

How are international admission decisions made?

Admission decisions are based on an applicant’s academic credentials and proficiency in English/aptitude testing. The ability to finance their studies at Lock Haven University is also considered. Lock Haven is looking for students who have completed a strong academic curriculum, who are highly motivated, and who have scored well on their examinations.

Must I take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?

Applicants whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English.  The TOEFL is the most frequently submitted examination score that the University receives, however,the Admissions Office will use other measures upon the applicant’s request. The IELTS, ACT, and SAT examinations may also be used.

I am currently finishing my final year of secondary school or university. Do I have to wait until I finish the year to apply to Lock Haven University?

No, the University would prefer that you apply during your final year by sending a transcript which includes your mid-year grades/marks of your final year and courses in progress. If you are admitted, your admission will be conditional until your final year grades/marks are received and reviewed by the Admissions Office. You will not be permitted to register for your first semester at LHU until your final transcript is received.

What happens once I am admitted?

You will need to pay a $200.00 tuition deposit. If for some reason you are denied a student visa for Lock Haven University, you can request a new I-20 for admission the following semester.

As soon as your tuition deposit is received, you will receive detailed information from the Institute for International Studies concerning your arrival, LHU email account, math placement test, international student orientation, housing and meal plan, and required medical forms.

Can I receive credit for high scores on the AP exams or IB tests?

Lock Haven University will accept any Advanced Placement (AP) courses for credit with a score of 3 or better on the College Board Advanced Placement examination. In most cases, courses will transfer either as a general education requirement or as elective credit.

The University will also provide credit to students who meet the criteria (Higher Level or Standard Level with score of 4, 5, 6, or 7 or A, B, or C) for the International Baccalaureate Program (IB). Additional information about the IB can be found online at . In most cases, courses will transfer either as a general education requirement or as elective credit.

After you have been admitted to the University, you may request an evaluation by the Registrar’s Office. In order for credit to be evaluated and awarded, official copies of AP credits and scores must be sent directly from the College Board testing service. Any questions should be directed to the LHU Registrar’s Office by calling 570-484-2006.

How many international students attend LHU?

With students from over 30 countries typically studying at LHU each year, there is a definite international atmosphere on campus. At LHU, about 2% of the total enrolled population are international students. Not only will you be making new American friends, but you will also be meeting people from all over the world.

Who qualifies as an international student?

Any person, who is not a United States citizen, Green Card holder, or permanent resident is considered an international student and should complete the international application. For additional inquiries please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions at

What kind of visa is required for international students?

Students accepted to LHU will enter the United States on an F-1 visa. Shortly after receiving notification of acceptance, students will be provided with an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status. This form will be submitted by the student to the United States embassy or consulate in his/her home country as part of the visa application process. Students with dependents should notify the Admissions Office upon applying to Lock Haven University.  Financial support will need to be provided for F-2 dependent(s) in order for them to accompany the F-1 student to the United States.

What is the process for obtaining a student visa?

Once an international student has been admitted and provided documented proof of financial responsibility, the Institute for International Studies will issue a Form I-20. You must then contact your appropriate American embassy or consulate and follow the procedure to apply for a student visa. The exact procedure can usually be found on the embassy or consulate web site.

I entered the United States on a tourist visa. Must I return home to apply for a student visa?

In most cases, a tourist visa cannot be changed to a student visa while you are in the United States.

What kind of housing is available on campus for international students at LHU?

Students are housed on campus in a traditional dormitory. Students must live on campus for their first-year.

Is a residence hall room on campus guaranteed?

For all first-year applicants on campus housing is required for the first year of study.

What is the weather like in Lock Haven?

During the school year from August to May, our seasons change completely. When you arrive in August, it will still be summer with temperatures around 21° to 27° C. From November through March, winter temperatures in Lock Haven average -6° to -2° C and sometimes reach below -17° C. Temperatures will rise again in the spring.

How is the food at LHU?

Bentley Dining Hall offers a great selection of choices. The upstairs dining area is “all you can eat,” while the downstairs dining area is an “a la carte” food court. Students choosing to dine upstairs have great choices such as grill items, fresh pasta, pizza, deli, salad bar, desert cart and much more!  There is also a Starbucks located on campus! More info.

How do I get to Lock Haven University?

The transportation system in the United States is quite different from many other countries. It is easy to travel to Lock Haven from several American cities. Susquehanna Trailways operates a daily bus service between Lock Haven and New York, Philadelphia, Harrisburg and Williamsport. For schedules, log on to . Tickets can be purchased online.

Flying into Williamsport or State College is the third option. Both airports are about 35 minutes from the university. Students tend to take a taxi from these airports to campus. From either airport you can easily fly to almost anywhere in the United States and abroad. For more information on flights, connections, arrivals, and departures, please visit the websites for both airports at and You might want to check airline websites to look for airfare deals. Many airlines in the U.S. offer special airfares to students.

 Contact Us!

Admissions Office

401 N. Fairview Street, Lock Haven, PA
(570) 484-2027

Office Hours

8:00am to 4:00pm Monday-Friday

Connect with Admissions Online

Not PrinceFaxMail PhoneSearchFacebook GitHub InstagramKickStarterLinkedInPinterestRedditRSSTumblrTwitterVineWordPressYouTube