Want to learn more?
Visit our Admissions Website to learn more about The Haven, schedule a visit, or talk to one our Admissions Counselors!
LHU Fast Facts
- Lock Haven University is located on the West Branch of the Susquehanna River in the scenic mountains of central Pennsylvania, a few minutes off I-80 (exit 178).
- The historic town of Lock Haven boasts a vital downtown with tree-lined streets and beautiful Victorian homes in a safe and quiet environment.
- Lock Haven is less than an hour from State College and Williamsport and four hours from New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and Pittsburgh.
- Our Clearfield campus (an hour to the west) serves traditional and non- traditional students.
|Residency||6% students from states other than PA|
|Average Class Size||25:1|
|Average GPA||3.30/4.0 with academic/college preparatory classes|
|Average SAT||949 (critical reading and math scores only)|
|Average ACT||20 (composite score)|
|Average Class Rank||48% of students are in upper 2/5 of class|
- Undergraduate enrollment: 3,199 on the main campus, with 273 in Clearfield.
- Graduate enrollment: 355
- 41% male, 59% female.
- 6% of undergraduates from outside Pennsylvania, including 29 states and 20 other countries.
- Diversity: 9% African American, 2% Hispanic, 1% Asian, 1% International, 82% Caucasian.
- 49 majors and certifications with 47 minors.
- Most popular majors include: education, sport, and recreation management, health sciences, criminal justice, business, psychology, social work, communication media, and biology.
- Master's Programs in education, counseling, sports studies, actuarial science, and health sciences (Physician Assistant).
- Degrees awarded (2016-17): 880 bachelor's, 80 associate's, 176 master's degrees.
- Honors Program available for qualified students.
- Growing number of graduate programs and courses via distance education.
- All students complete an internship or other "real world" experience that connects learning to life.
LHU Offers . . .
- Technology: virtualized computer labs, SMART boards, and wireless access in classrooms.
- Global perspective: 98 students studied abroad in 2016-17 (we offer programs in over 20 countries) and 30 international students enrich the climate on campus.
- Active learning: internships and field experience, service, and undergraduate research.
Faculty and staff
- 502 full-time employees, including. . .
- 219 full-time faculty – 83% hold earned doctorates and 15% represent the ethnic minorities.
- Courses are taught by faculty members, not graduate students or teaching assistants.
- Student faculty ratio 18:1.
- 18 NCAA Division I and II athletic programs; 2009 NCAA Division II Softball National Champions.
- Over 150 clubs and organizations.
- Club and intramural sports, movies, theatre, jazz and marching band, student government, cheerleading, dance, student newspaper, ROTC and more.
- Lock Haven's mascot is the Bald Eagle and our colors and crimson and white.
- Second Year persistence rate: 70%
- Graduation rate 40.3% with 4 years, 54.8% within 6 years
|Lifestyle at the haven|
Within six months of graduation:
- 97% percent of 2013-14 graduates were employed, in the military or pursuing further education.
Costs and Aid
- A public university providing academic excellence at an affordable price.
- Comprehensive financial aid and scholarship program. 91% of full-time freshman receive aid.
- Guaranteed housing for freshmen and sophomores, with internet access from all rooms.
- State-of-the-art recreation facilities, including pool and climbing wall.
- All campus buildings have internet access and over 90% of classrooms are wireless.
- Founded in 1870 to train teachers for the Commonwealth, the University has prepared students for successin work and life for more than a century.
- Part of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher education (PASSHE) since 1982. Over 34,000 alumni live in every state and work in a wide variety of professions.